Stephen Vitiello

According to Wikipedia, Stephen started out as guy who played punk guitar and became a renowned sound artist. As a sound artist, he does a fantastic job at connecting with the audience. There are a lot of light-bulb moments when listening to his work while seeing it in the proper installation.  For example, when you look at his color series, he creates a room that is lit with only a single color and plays a sound that he believes portrays the color best. And often times, as the audience, I had to stop and think, “wow, that is totally what that color sounds like!”

I have to say that when it comes to sound art, Stephen has me hooked. He has created his art using everything from recorded conversations, instruments, movie productions, background noise, and artificially created sounds. Stephen obviously puts a ton of effort into each of his creations. For example, he recorded background noise that came from his window in the World Trade Center for six months in order to create his art. The time and effort put into each project shows greatly to the audience and his talents are not overlooked.